WBC National Inanga Spawning Programme (NISP) Resources:
Developed as part of the MBIE Unlocking Curious Minds Whitebait Connection National Inanga Spawning Programme 2016
- Resource 1A - PowerPoint Introduction (495 MB)
- Resource 1A - Spawning Video
- Resource 1A - Guided audio Inanga lifecycle visualisation
- Resource 1B - Introduction Summary Booklet
- Resource 1C - Inanga ID Guide
- Resource 2A - Find a spawning site
- Resource 2B - Locating the Saltwater Wedge
- Resource 2C - Assessing Spawning habitat
- Resource 3A - Installing artificial spawngin habitat (straw bales)
- Resource 3B - Short Term Site Maintenance
- Resource 3C - Long term Site Maintenance
- Pre and post straw bale installation sign templates
View/Download the resources here:
- Inanga-lifecycle-audio-part-one.m4a - 6.75 MB
- WBC-NISP_1A_Introduction_v2_18OCT.pdf - 15.72 MB
- WBC-NISP_1B_summary_v1_18OCT.pdf - 6.94 MB
- WBC-NISP_1C_ID_guide_v2_18OCT.pdf - 4.66 MB
- WBC-NISP_2A_Find_Spawning_18OCT.pdf - 1.03 MB
- WBC-NISP_2B_Salt_Wedge_v2_18OCT.pdf - 1012.76 KB
- WBC-NISP_2C_habitat_assessment_v2_18OCT.pdf - 1.29 MB
- WBC-NISP_3A_bale_installation_v2_18OCT.PDF - 1.07 MB
- WBC-NISP_3B_maintain_site_v2_18OCT.pdf - 3.44 MB
- WBC-NISP_3c_Longterm_restoration_v2_18OCT(1).pdf - 691.85 KB
- WBC-NISP_Bale_signs_6oct_HiRes.pdf - 21.3 MB
By Ira Seitzer
2005 National Waterways/Whitebait Connection Facilitator - Northland
Inanga (galaxias masculatus) is the most well known species of Galaxias and is found around our coastal rivers, streams, lakes and swamps, in almost any fresh water that it can reach in its upstream migration from the sea.
Its familiarity is due to the fact that the Inanga juveniles are the most important and abundant species of the infamous annual whitebait catch where it is known to make up 90% of the entire catch.
Aside from bringing great culinary pleasure to many of us, Inanga are a source of food for many animals, birds and are known prey for large eels, flounder and no doubt many other fish who feed on them.
It is vital that we are able to understand and recognise Inanga spawning grounds and their important role in the life of whitebait.